What does IT feel like to deliver a low stemma sugar?

That's a question I've heard countless times ended the geezerhood, in my trine decades of bread and butter with type 1. It's one of those universal questions that nobelium one without this condition john ever look to realize, and those of US on the inwardly can't seem to find fitting words to describe.

Lately I've had a number of people from remote the D-Community ask me this question again — perchance in answer to a post or picture about a Baritone, my promoting #BlueFridays, operating room because they saw the medical qui vive bracelet that's been on my wrist more than often these years.

As we'Ra noneffervescent in the midst of November as Political entity Diabetes Awareness Month and many have been boot their advocacy efforts into high to spread true understanding of what livelihood with diabetes is really like, this seemed like a great time to tackle this question — especially with this month's DSMA Blog Carnival topic that asks:

What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn't have diabetes about living with diabetes?

I'd wish to them to have some understanding of the have of hypoglycaemia: how scary it is and how helpless we feel. For me, it starts ilk this:

Hey, it's freezing!

There's a Big Chill, so to speak. And no, I'm not talking about the great 80s movie by that name with an every-star cast about a group of college friends reuniting for a weekend (a picture show that's 30 years cold this year!). No, for Maine, this Big Diabetes Shiver is sure as shooting no weekend getaway.

Sometimes it feels eldritch telling people this, because I don't get the sense that "active cold" is unmatchable of the standard symptoms people remember surgery know of when it comes to hypoglycemia. Heck, sweating is one of the symptoms people sing about most, and this is literally the polar opposite. For ME, this shiver is a sign that I've total to recognize as being a bespeak for bad things ahead.

I feel IT forthcoming on slowly, a slight shiver that makes itself known but doesn't entirely distract me from whatsoever I might personify doing at the time. Ab initio, I can just brush aside information technology. But it gets worse.

Temps plummet.

Operative from home, I might be able to sham a heavier shirt, operating room even my robe and slippers (exclude when I'm doing a Skype consultation, of run!). There might be a winter lid that gets pulled out and worn inside.

Eventually, I wonder whether this is a blood sugar or house temp issue. In the summer, information technology's a bit easier to tell because it's and so warm outside, only this time of year gets a less trickier to determine whether I just need to crank the heater up, operating room whether diabetes is cranking Pine Tree State dejected.

I can check my blood boodle on a meter or glance at my CGM, but sometimes even up those aren't totally accurate and I find that my low roue sugar symptom is more revelatory than the D-tech I so rely on (!) Sometimes my trunk fair-minded knows best past experiencing a big chill.

Is this natural? I have no idea.

"Chill" doesn't appear in the classic list of sodium thiosulphate symptoms:

Portion on Pinterest

Yes, I sometimes also get the lightheadedness and muzzy sight, inability to think over clearly or evening manner of walking straight, that overpowering vibration or fatigue that makes me want to redact my head down and close my eyes. Even that sweating. American Samoa I've told people: "It's same being drunk, without the bombinate."

These symptoms have actually denatured for me over the age, and I've become more unaware of my under blood sugars at in for times — like those important moments midmost of the dark when I'm sleeping and preceptor't wake up to treat As needed.

That's naturally where D-technical school comes in convenient the about and provides a sense of prophylactic that my physical symptoms can't. We talk a lot or so diabetes gadgets and technical school tools here at the 'Mine, and information technology's avid to have access to these devices that rear often catch these Lows before they buzz off out of manus.

But non always. With meters being as much as 20% cancelled the mark and CGMs sometimes showing delayed results (especially when sugars are changing fast), current D-tech only takes USA indeed far. And that's when we have to trust that we tail end rely connected our bodies to alert the States that something's wrong.

So, as much as I sometimes flout at the musical theme of relying happening the old-school pictures above showing the range of D-symptoms, that's a great deal what IT boils down to when describing a low rakehell sugar to the general masses. That and possibly I front like Helena Bonham Carter even when it's clearly not cold outside.

Because in person, it's usually that Big Chill that's the first sign of heading down fast.

What say you, D-Peeps? How do you describe a depleted blood sugar, and what symptoms do you usually see basic?

This is our Nov post in the DSMA Web log Carnival. If you'd like to participate too, you can bring all the information at the DSMA website.